supercharged

Author Topic: Lyme and EBV test results  (Read 2989 times)

Offline bambi43

• Participant
  • Rating: +0/-0
Re: Lyme and EBV test results
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »
I am puzzled but the test results..how are they determining Chronic EBV...my understanding is once in your blood always in your blood (and salivia). And I agree about the lime. I felt like a truck ran me over and over and had to beg my doctor to do a lime test. Since then 9 of my 12 neighbors all have it including children! Sad!

Offline 15800cc

• Rating: +7/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »
Zaylea,
Band 41 is showing an infection, do you know if any other bands had a + or ++ or any IND (indeterminate)? 

Did you get tested for co-infections.  Shortness of breath or air hunger is a symptom of Babesia. My LLMD feels that if you live in the USA and have Lyme you also have Babesia.  If you live in Europe, you can have Lyme Disease without Babesia.  Different ticks carry different infections.

An LLMD (lyme literate MD) would check your body for signs of Bartonella (another co-infection) and have you tested at a tick lab.  There are several tick labs but it's seems like IgeniX in Palo Alto, CA is used a lot by LLMD's. 

Also to correct my horrid typing,  Fry Labs, not  Frey, as I typed before, is in Arizonia and does a lot of co-infection testing.

You also have to understand that to be CDC positive you need 5 of the 10 bands positive, as advised by the ID doctors.  An LLMD looks at testing, if you have band 41 positive and any Lyme specific band positive you have Lyme.   Also, IND is taken as a positive since something was present on the band but the lab did not call it positive, just indeterminate.

In 12 years of being sick, I tested negative twice, once at Lab Corp and once at Quest.  12 years later tested by tick labs, I had 4 positives, some being Lyme specific bands and 3 IND bands.  I am still not CDC positive but I do have Lyme and co-infections. A year into my treatment for tick borne disease I can see a different in my fatigue, much better, brain fog has lifted my balance is better, my memory is better and I sleep like a baby. I can now function almost like a normal person.  Still not quite there but working on it.

Elaine
I am not a doctor. Do not take my opinion as medical advise.

Offline SAS

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »
The other lab Elaine mentioned to me is Frey Labs in Arizona.

Offline HerbLady

• Rating: +3/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »
Elaine has also repeatedly mentioned that Labcorp's lyme testing isn't accurate. and also they don't test for "co-infections". there are 2 labs she's mentioned that specialize in Lyme testing- but i have no idea if you could get your insurance to pay for that. one is IgeneX, i think, but i can never remember the other... poking around on the forum here should lead you to some info, or maybe send her a message, but she seems to pop on here fairly often
best of luck in figuring this out!

Offline Pat in Texas

• Rating: +6/-1
  • Year Diagnosed: 1985
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Elaine (15800cc ) has posted a lot regarding Lyme Disease.  Not all are under diagnosis, so search in the other categories too.  Unfortunately, the subject may not be lyme, but she has answered questions many times, maye under treatment.

Offline zaylea

• Participant
Lyme and EBV test results
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »
Two years ago, I went to the doctor for fatigue. He ran a bunch of tests, and said I had a mono relapse and should be fine in a few weeks. This was not the case.

About a month ago, I went to a new doctor for fatigue, brain fog, and shortness of breath. I have some other symptoms, but those are the ones that were bad enough to want to see a doctor about.

He ran a lot of tests, but initially did not test for EBV. This was because he said it didn't sound like  "recurring epstein-barr thing". The only tests that came up with anything unusual was Lyme. The Lyme EIA came up as positive, but the western blot only came up with IgM P41 as present (non-specific to Lyme). Four weeks later, he tested again for Lyme and EBV.

The Lyme results were the same as before, but when the doctor's office called me, they said they were negative. They also said I was positive for chronic EBV. All of the symptoms I have are shared by both diseases.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a situation like this. My lab results are below (labcorp)

Lyme EIA: 1.09 (1.06 the 2nd time) positive
Lyme Western Blot: IgM P41 present (both times) CDC negative

EBV Ab VCA, IgM <0.2
EBV Ab VCA, IgG >8.0
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG >8.0
(the normal range for all is 0.0-0.8 )

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:05:02 PM by zaylea »