Author Topic: ritalin and the like  (Read 1843 times)

Offline AnnaG

• Participant
  • Rating: +0/-0
  • Year Diagnosed: 2000
Re: ritalin and the like
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
I am taking amphetamines and if it wasn't for them, my kids wouldn't have a home cooked meal and their laundry down. I can't imagine not having it, but if last year it helped me with studying, it doesn't anymore. :( I just registered for classes and I am dropping them because I am afraid that extra stress and sleepless nights studying now with CEBS will leave my kids with a disabled mother :'(
But i am still taking amphetamines to do the house work and shopping.  ::)

Offline rachaelsdad

• Participant
  • Year Diagnosed: 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
Hi, new to these boards.

I am on adderall 20mg BID. It helps me focus on subjects and gives me a little boost to do things during the day. Oddly enough it also decreases the total body pain.
Have not had any problems with feeling speedy or increase in anxiety; just gives my body a little nudge that helps me get started to do yard work and such.

Offline Morcar21

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
I never took any meds or had concentration problems until about a year after contracting mono the first time, sophmore year of college.  My college year was going down the drain due to the "brain fog" everyone talks about.  I called it "dazed and confused".  I also suddenly started having panic attacks, which I had never had before either.  This was in 2004 and I have been on adderall xr 10-15mg since then.  If I don't take it I feel like I have just woken up....only that feeling lasts all day.  My memory is really awful.  I average about 4 times a year on the locking myself out of my car or house deal.  I felt like I finally had my old life back once I started the Adderall.  I still have to see a therapist and psychiatrist in order to get my meds but to me its worth it.  I always say "heck I can find something to talk about for 20 minutes." 

Offline Epstein4Life

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:38:31 AM »
Yes I know personally! I suffer from Adult Add/Learning Disorder. I stopped taking concerta and ritalin because the time release was hurting my stomach. When I began adderall I had great results, but I do notice a direct correlation when I take it and viral symptoms. As mentioned it is speed. I logged in to my cvs pharmacy and it was listed as amphetamine salts. It also doesn;t do great things for your immunity system

Offline LaughingLion

• Rating: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
thanks for some info.  Not sure about these drugs too.  REallly just wondering about them.  Haven't scheduled any dr appt. about them or anything.  Just keepin my options open.

Offline HerbLady

• Rating: +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:21:38 AM »
Now i don't know a whole bunch of details about the synthetics, mind you, but i do know that ritalin is just speed. when a kid takes ritalin to control ADD and they miss a dose an MD will recommend a cup of strong black coffee or Mtn.Dew  (ADD is actually caused by a LACK of energy, not an over-abundance of it) Ritalin, like any other "uppers" is highly addictive, but i don't know much about the side effects. I know one child who pretty much turned into a mindless zombie on it, but he had ADD and you don't right? just severe fatigue?? so I don't know how it would affect you... Also, has ritalin been approved for fighting fatigue? if not you'd have to find an MD willing to prescribe "off label" (meaning "other than what its approved for") which, from what I know, is legal, but can be difficult to get your MD to agree to ???

ok, just did a quick search- neither drug is approved for use in adults, only children & teens. both are also used to treat narcolpsy.
Dexadrine is an amphetamine, so it's just speed too.....
If you decide to try these, please use caution & keep us posted!  :)

Offline LaughingLion

• Rating: +2/-0
ritalin and the like
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
Anyone out there reading Dr. Teitelbaum's book?  He mentions ritalin, dexadrine, and something else for energy.  Anyone have any experience with these drugs?  I'd like to hear about the good, the bad, and the ugly please.  I know they're controlled substances...but just wondering.  Antidepressants stop working on me, so I was wondering if this might be my route.  Oh and I know they are synthetic supposedly nasty chemicals, but I"m past caring about all that.