supercharged

Author Topic: Reactivation with symptoms?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline qhrider

• Rating: +0/-0
  • Year Diagnosed: 2009
Re: Reactivation with symptoms?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
I wish I could remember where I got that information.  Mostly, it was me just talking to people.  Many of them had had strep after mono.

Offline Fee-fi-fo-fum

• Participant
  • Year Diagnosed: 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
Simply from experience (no MD, of course)....strep is a secondary infection (or whatever the proper term is) to the virus.  Almost everyone I've polled about having mono has had recurring strep infections.  Personally, it seems like those of us who have EBV have our good seasons and ones when there is no answers (esp. from doctors, it seems).  It sounds to me like you have a current EBV infection.  Those are my exact symptoms when I'm "sick."   They can test for current infections.  I've had a run of really good months, even to where I'm exercising/working...etc, then a little stress and bam, sick again.  Sure enough, I am still testing positive for a current infection, even though my numbers are lower than last year.  (and I don't feel quite as crummy as last summer either). 
I'm sure other people have some better ideas for you.  I pray your sick times are less than before.  Each day is a gift.

Thanks for your reply!  Very interesting!  In all the reading I've done about Chronic EBV over the years, I don't ever recall coming across information regarding CEBV & strep.  That information will be good to tuck away in the back of my brain going forward.  Once this bout is over, if I get strep again, I need to be aware of any ongoing symptoms.

I went back to the original PCP that diagnosed me several years ago (whom I love, but distance from where I live to her practice was a minor issue) and she did quite a bit of bloodwork.  My suspicions were confirmed that my EBV levels were extraordinarily high.   :(  She started me on an anti-viral medication, which has helped my sore throat, but my fatigue seems to have gotten worse over the last 10-14 days.  I'm so tired right now, I could just cry.

I am just so angry and so depressed that I'm having to deal with this again.  When I initially got sick, I went through hell for over a year before I started getting better.  I can't deal with that again.

Offline qhrider

• Year Diagnosed: 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
Simply from experience (no MD, of course)....strep is a secondary infection (or whatever the proper term is) to the virus.  Almost everyone I've polled about having mono has had recurring strep infections.  Personally, it seems like those of us who have EBV have our good seasons and ones when there is no answers (esp. from doctors, it seems).  It sounds to me like you have a current EBV infection.  Those are my exact symptoms when I'm "sick."   They can test for current infections.  I've had a run of really good months, even to where I'm exercising/working...etc, then a little stress and bam, sick again.  Sure enough, I am still testing positive for a current infection, even though my numbers are lower than last year.  (and I don't feel quite as crummy as last summer either). 
I'm sure other people have some better ideas for you.  I pray your sick times are less than before.  Each day is a gift.

Offline Fee-fi-fo-fum

• Participant
  • Year Diagnosed: 2008
Reactivation with symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
Hello all,

I was diagnosed with CEBV, CFS, FMS, and dangerously low B12 levels in 2008 after having been sick for quite some time.  It took well over a year before I felt I had any normalcy back in my life.  Since that time, however, I have been able to live a fairly normal life.  I work, I run, I volunteer, I spend time with friends & family, etc.

However, nearly a month ago, I felt as if I was coming down with something.  It hit me fast & hard late Saturday night and into Sunday morning.  I had a low grade fever, chills, muscle aches, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, headache, and a general feeling of malaise.  Rather than wait to see my PCP on Monday, I went into an urgent care center, where I was diagnosed with strep throat.  At that time, they gave me a cephalosporin injection and a RX for 10 days worth of Amoxicillin.  Within 24-48 hours, I was felling much better (about 50%?), likely from the shot and I took the Amoxi for the 10 days as prescribed, but the sore throat & fatigue were still lingering.

When my fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, & sore throat weren't any better after 2 weeks, I went back to the urgent care center (this was also on a Sunday).  I was told that I needed a stronger antibiotic and was prescribed Clindamycin.  After a week of taking that and not feeling any better, I called my new PCP (not the one who originally diagnosed me in 2008, as I no longer live in that area).  She seems to think it's highly likely that I caught a cold while my immune system was fighting to recover from the strep throat.  I'm not buying it.  The main symptoms I'm still battling are: malaise, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, and sore throat.  No stuffy/runny nose, no sneezing, etc. - all signs that are indicitive of me, personally, having a cold.  She did perform a throat culture to see if there was any strep left in my throat (highly unlikely) and her office should be calling me with those results this morning.  The problem with the culture, however, is that, since I had been on antibiotics for so long when it was performed, I could still have some strep and it won't show up.  She also stated that, "if a patient has mono and takes Amoxicillin, they will develop a rash", so she is not too keen on the idea that this could be EBV.

So, I am thinking that one of two scenarios is playing out here:

- I never had strep throat and the doctor at the urgent care center was covering their rear by prescribing an antibiotic.

or

- I geniunely had strep throat and that triggered a reactivation of EBV (or, possibly CFS??).  I feel like this is the more likely scenario, as the initial shot did help me to feel better, but the amoxi didn't seem to do anything beyond that.

The problem is, according to my new PCP, that there's no blood work she can do to confirm the EBV, because, "once you have it, it will always show up in bloodwork".  And, obviously, there's nothing that will show up on b/w to confirm or deny CFS.

I guess the point of my post is...I'm at a loss as to where to go next.  I keep reading all over the web that reactivation normally doesn't cause symptoms to recur.  So, if this is not EBV, what else could/should my doctor be testing for?  Or, if it is EBV, is there anything that can be done to confirm?

Thank you, in advance, for reading!

PS - one last thing that may be worth mentioning is that 2 days prior to first becoming ill, I was around thousands of college students on a college camps for 10+ hours.  Hello, mono central!  I know it normally takes several weeks for symptoms to appear after infection in healthy individuals, but I'm wondering if I could have been exposed to mono there and that has played a part in all of this?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:41:24 AM by Fee-fi-fo-fum »